SIDNEY SHOAL CENTRE
Pre- Registration Recommended
In-person classes at Bodhichitta Centre, Sidney SHOAL Centre, and Comox will restart when permitted under BC’s COVID-19 restrictions. Please check here or watch for our newsletter for updates.
DAY: Monday Morning (In-Person)
TEACHER: Gen Kelsang Zopa
COST: $10 each class / Free for Members
WHERE: Card Room, 2nd Floor | 10030 Resthaven Drive, Sidney
Pre-registration is recommended as the number of attendants is limited to 12. However, drop-in will be allowed if the 12 is not filled. Please read the Covid protocol for this location in the FAQ below.
ANGER AND DESIRE: THE INNER CONSPIRACY
We have a plan for external threats like a pandemic, earthquake or flood, but, do we have a plan for when things get stormy in our mind? By practicing Buddha’s teachings we protect ourself from suffering and problems originating in negative states of mind such as hatred and desire.
Topic for First 5 weeks:
- What is the real danger?
- Is anger helpful or harmful?
- Where do our feelings come from?
- Should we follow our desire?
- Developing positive aspirations
Suitable for everyone! These classes offer practical methods to improve the quality of our lives through meditation and Buddhist teachings
Each class begins with guided breathing meditation to help settle the mind and let go of distractions.
Gen Kelsang Zopa
A Canadian Buddhist monk, Gen Zopa has been presenting the profound and practical teachings of the Buddhist path to enlightenment for over 20 years. Renowned for the clarity and depth of his teachings, his warmth and practicality bring to life the ancient art of meditation.
Q. What are the COVID protocols for participants?
We are operating within the guidelines of the SHOAL Centre COVID protocols.
- Arrive between 5 and 15 minutes early and enter through the MAIN DOOR only. You will need to tell staff what class you are attending.
- Do not come if you have traveled or been around someone who has travelled in the last 14 days or if you have a temperature, sore throat or a cough. If you are unwell and unsure, please use the BC Covd-19 Self-Assessment tool here.
- The use of a mask is mandatory when entering the bulding. You should maintain social distance at all times, especially in the lines for entry and signing in. After taking your socially distanced seat in the meditation room, the mask is highly recommended, but not mandatory.
- Go directly to the class which will be upstairs in the card room.
- You will be asked to sign in next to your name. This sign-in sheet will be shared with SHOAL Centre (but we will not provide any contact information UNLESS required for contact tracing).
- There will be no tea or snack and please don’t share food or beverage items.
- Restrooms – there is one upstairs and one downstairs available to you – please respect the signs for the stalls that have been closed.
- Please sanitize or wash your hands upon entering and after touching any public surface.
Note: SHOAL Centre reserves the right to take temperature checks so do not come if you have a temperature higher than 37.5.
Q. Do I need to be a Buddhist to attend?
Q. Do I need to have any experience?
Q. How should I dress?
Q. Is there any physical exercise involved?
Q. Do I need to book in advance?
Due to the strict limitations on occupancy and the need to check in at the main entrance to the SHOAL Centre, pre-registration is required right now. In the future, this will revert to being a drop-in class. Thank you for your understanding.