JOYFUL PATH RETREAT
5-Day Retreat in the City
THIS PAGE IS FOR PRESIDERS ONLY
DAY: Wednesday Jan 1 to Sunday Jan 5, 2020
COST: By donation
WHERE: 970 Blanshard Street, Victoria
Schedule Sign Up and a Copy for Me
Lamrim Retreat Session Format – Each Session is 1 Hour
Below summary of the session schedule (same as on the bottom of the sign up sheet)
Minutes after the start
15 to 20
Bold = Play CD/iPod
You will want to read over your meditation section in The New Meditation Handbook in advance. Since there are only 5-10 minutes for you to introduce the object of meditation, and some the the sections are quite long, so you will want to identify the essence for your introduction. And, if your section is quite short, you may want to re-read a key paragraph or sentence.
Also some of the sections do not state exactly ” the object of meditation is__” but you will want to clearly identify the object of meditation it so that you can easily use that sentence at the beginning and for the reminder when it is time to meditate. This clarity will be helpful to the participants.
On The Day - Logistics
- Presiders, please arrive at least 15 minutes before session starts and prepare to stay afterwards for 15 minutes in case there are bookstore browsers. If you wish to make tea and put out cookies, you may, but it is not required.
- The inside and outside signs are prepared. Unless it is windy we can put the outside sign out before the first session and leave it until the end of the last session.
- The Prayers for Meditation sadhana will be out on the chairs, please ask people to share.
- There is a copy of The New Meditation Handbook for your use that is labeled as a centre copy. Presiders, please leave it at the teachers chair so it is easy to find. There will be extra copies of the Sign up Sheet with session instructions in the Teachers Room for you.
- At the end of the session encourage people to browse the bookstore/take brochures before they leave.
- After each session, please note on the Attendance sheet in the office how many people at each session.
- The donations can be collected into the envelope just once a day.
Starting Your Sessions
- Have a seat on the throne using a cushion, or place a chair in front of the throne.
- 5 minutes before session start you can close the blinds and turn the sign to ” Session Starting, Please Enter Quietly” and ask someone to lock the door and turn the sign for you later on.
- Have a seat.
- At session start time, welcome the people, introduce yourself and explain about “Guru Founder” (stand, hands at heart, no need to prostrate unless you wish)
- Continue with Liberating Prayer. At the end of Liberating Prayer signal your “helper” to lock the door and turn the sign.
- Follow the guidance for session timings.
What if I need a Substitute?
As soon as possible, please contact first the other presiders listed for your day and then contact Julia and all the other presiders. The email you received on Dec 10th is a good list to use to send to all! If you don’t have the contact information for someone on the list that you may need to contact, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get it for you.
(More short term, if you need a phone number, most everyone’s email and phone number is on the Centre Rota posted in the Office, top left on the bulletin board)
What if I don't see the next person?
If you are doing a session during the daytime and don’t see the next person, please check your phone, call them to check and use your judgement to find a presider. These are not sessions we want to have to cancel at the last minute.
(The list of emails and phone numbers will be sent and linked here and printed and put in the office before the sessions start.)
A Note About Offerings
Only the first offerings in the morning needs to change the Dodrje Shugden offerings.
THE RETREAT SCHEDULE
WEDNESDAY JAN 1 to SATURDAY JAN 5
There are four 1-hour sessions each day. Each 1-hour session will consist of a teaching (reading from the book), prayers and a 20-minute guided meditation.
Session 1: 9.30-10.30am
Session 2: 11.00am-12.00pm
Session 3: 1.00-2.00pm
Session 4: 5.30 – 6.30pm Wed-Fri
2.30 – 3.30pm Sat-Sun